Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Nice da lighting

Aloha kakou e kuu mau hoa heluhelu,

It’s 3:20am on the 14th and I cannot sleep. Frick. I’m two days behind on my blog so I thought I’d better write something. Plus, the internet service doesn’t like too many computers on at the same time, so I let the others get their thoughts down first. Let’s see where to begin. We rented a car two days ago. After a painstaking rental process, cause I couldn’t speak Italian and the nice dude couldn’t speak any English (which for me was frustrating ) so I repeated the last word he would say in Italian and he repeated the last word I would say in English. We both caught on to our lack of communication to one another and then mostly smiled and nodded to one another until Alohalani arrived to save the transaction. Yay!

So the moonphase was a Kaloa phase and it was the harbinger for what we were about to experience. Ok, let me preface with I’m sooooooooooo glad Alohalani was driving. Honest. K, we get on the road and go back to where our hotel was that way Alohalani could figure out how to get on the highway. We make our way through a few towns but for some reason the traffic is acting like the Farrington Highway after an accident on a rainy day. Saaaa-loooooow. Huge puo’a clouds, cumulonimbus clouds are building, gathering & huaka’I ‘ana in our direction. They were HUGE. Alora, which I learned means and den in Italian, huge rain drops start falling

I’m watching the weather and it’s blowing. I say to the girls, Titas don’t eat too much for lunch. Don’t eat anything acidic. It’s gonna be a rough ride on the sea. We finally get on to the freeway then zooom off we go back to where we started. I don’t know how it happened but it did. We continue on passing grape orchards, plowed fields, and country. We make a pit stop at a side road rest stop to get some lunch and go lua. We eat in the car and then zoooooooom off we go again.. We make a fast stop at a little town called Sperlunga. It had quaint homes built up on a steep limestone cliff. Think of the movie Mama Mia and that’s kind of how this little seaport looked. Now I’m watching the ocean and it’s rough. Not Alenuihaha rough, more like Pailolo after noon rough. The wind is blowing hard too. I say to Alohalani, “eh we better go I don’t know how it works over here but if it’s rough water maybe the ferry not going across.” So off we go again abandoning any ideas of stopping along the way.

K, so we go for a long while and just outside of Napoli (Naples) the lunch is kicking in and our driver is getting exhausted. So we turn off the road by a sign that says Magic World, k but we turn one road ahead into the service entry…. K, now start playing the Twilight song….doo-ri-do-da… doo-ri-do-da… doo-ri-do-da… doo-ri-do-da… Freaky ass rides with clown faces… I hate clowns… other disjointed colored rides and rusted lights and freaky blue Alladin Genies on crack. Spooooooooky! The road gets all strange and we notice two other tourists are following us. We go out at the entrance and emerge into… ok wait.. you guys gotta change the song in your head now to the banjo theme song for Deliverance….daga dang dang dang dang dang dang dang.. Yep, some town with statue dogs on one corner, live man eating ones on the next, I’m thinking Kentucky and then the road goes into ruins and landscape that reminded me of the Kawainui backroad to the dump. The road gets stranger and stranger. We make a U turn and go back to the deliverance town and know we have to get back on the freeway. We cross a bridge and then BAM going back to Roma. Aaaagghhh! At a gas station we go and then nice people point us into the right direction than off to Napoli we go. K, I’ll let the other ladies tell you that story.

Now we’re on Capri Island pronounced Cap-ree like in Capricorn not Kah-pree like in pants. I guess used to have goats on the island before cause that’s what it means. Anyway, it’s the lifestyles for the rich and famous over here. It’s lovely, think Kahala on roids or a steep crowded Kapalua. People cannot quite place our group. I just ignore the stares. Anyway, we’re staying at a lovely B&B and we’ve got a great view of Visuvius, which I’m silently kanaenae aku. The buggah is still alive Gangeh. The water here is blue, blue, blue. Think Keanakeiki only somebody when drop some blue dye in the water and that’s what it looks like. The ‘ili’ili are white from the marbleized limestone and so the blue from the ocean is azure blue, blue, blue. We walked all over yesterday and swam in the cold water (actually I just waded). The sea is cold (like Hakioawa on closing makahiki when we got to go hi’uwai before dawn), has a different smell and is extremely salty. What I like the most is the nehe ‘ana I ke kai. The marbleized ‘ili’ili make a lovely sound when the waves come in and out. It was a nice pit stop. We had lunch and then caught the bus back up to the town. More exploring, cappuccino in the square, decadent box of candy and more stares from the rich and famous. The best part for me was a visit to a sandal shop we went to that had a lovely sandal maker and his wife who had sandals made for Jackie O herself and others. His father-in-law owned the shop and now he, his wife and looks like granddaughter are still making sandals. All in all a good day of exploring. The only problem is that I lost half of my photos when I was downloading. I only have the trek down. Bummers. Oh well.

Today, when the ladies wake up, we will do more exploration and than it’s off to Pompeii. K den Gangeh… Spock you bumbye.

Kalei Nu’uhiwa © 2009 Naleialoha.net

No comments:

Post a Comment