Friday, October 9, 2009

Kim arrives in one piece

E aloha kakou e ku'u mau hoa heluhelu,

First I have to apologize to you all as this posting won't have any photos off the bat. Alohalani and I got up early and caught a taxi to the train station to go meet Kim at the FCO airport. What an adventure for me. The only train I ever rode previously was the Ka'anapali Sugar Train so you guys can imagine how exciting this experience was going to be indeed. We get into the terminal and buy our ticket. The station ticket terminal reminded me of a modern version of the grand central station. We get our tickets from a vending machine and then off we run to the train. So let me just say that I never run unless there's a man eating animal behind me or an accident in front of me where I must lend aid. So this running thing is for skinny people with knees. Not round people with fat ankles. K, anyway while we're running I'm thinking to myself, "Eh this looks like Harry Potter's train station at Platform 9 3/4." But then the need for oxygen takes over and the thought is overcome with, "Oh my Gods Kalei what the katsu are you doing?"
We make it to the train and then we're off. The ride was smooth and uneventful. Got to see all kinds homes and neighborhoods. Was pretty cool. Italians are so eager to speak with one another it's very lovely. Anyway, we make it to the airport on time, get to the arrivals section and BAM! It's a full blown ant fest. People are running about, dodging, yelling, swearing in all kinds of languages. We see that roughly 14 planes have landed all at once. We walk around trying to find Kim, but then realize that nearly 2,000 people have all gotten off of their flights at the same time. What a mess. Imagine dropping water down an anthill with all the ants scurrying about and that's what it looked like at terminal B. At one point Alohalani and I were walking against the crowd. I felt like a salmon swimming upstream against a fierce current.
After about an hour and a half I go to call Kim's phone to leave a message and that's when she emerges through the exit doors. YAY! We've found each other... We quickly get to the terminal which has now become a horde of mean wasps cranky that someone has disturbed their nest. Lines are long, tempers are flaring, stingers are at their ready. We get a quick cappuccino and get into the train which is packed with Americans, French, Bankers, tourists, Polish, & a whole bunch of others whom I couldn't place. We had to stand the whole way but it wasn't too long. So now we're in the B&B, dutifully writing on the blog. Kim will rest a bit and then tonight we go to IL CORALLO (Anna's restaurant) to celebrate all our birthdays. It's a happy birthday dinner for us and I plan to drink Brunello di Montacino. Photos are forthcoming......
K den Gangeh..... 'A'ole i pau.
Kalei Nu'uhiwa
(c) 2009 Naleialoha.net

No comments:

Post a Comment